GMB: Susanna Reid discusses Ofcom's Piers Morgan ruling
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Piers Morgan took to Twitter this morning to react to an article which pointed out that he was in the audience at the GQ Awards, when Prince Harry spoke on “news misinformation”. The TV presenter shared the news story online in view of his 7.9 million followers.
The initial tweet from the online publication read: “Harry lectures GQ audience on ‘news misinformation’ with Piers Morgan sitting right there.”
“#awks,”(sic) Piers added as he re-shared the post.
The 56-year-old former newspaper editor attended the London award show with his wife Celia Walden, while Prince Harry appeared via video link.
During his surprise appearance, the Duke of Sussex, 36, condemned anti vaxxers who “peddle lies and fears”, creating vaccine hesitancy.
The royal was at the Men of the Year Awards to present an award to the team behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
He went on to say that until everyone can access the Covid vaccine “we are all at risk”.
Harry then said that “mass-scale misinformation” could be behind hesitancy.
“News misinformation? They really are the gift that keeps on giving,” one social media user wrote in the comments section of Piers’ post.
“Bet you loved it… I would have,” another added.
“Heard he got a standing ovation #awks,”(sic) a third remarked.
“Prince Harry remains committed to talking about vaccinations. I love a coherent duke,” a fourth person chipped in.
“Prince Harry looks so good. And he looks really happy,” another said.
It comes after Ofcom cleared ITV over the comments Piers Morgan made on Good Morning Britain back in March about Prince Harry’s wife Meghan Markle.
Piers said he didn’t believe what the Duchess of Sussex had said during her sit-down chat with Oprah Winfrey.
Kirstie Allsopp hits out at Pen Farthing’s pet rescue: ‘Betrayed’ [UPDATE]
Andy Murray opens up about time spent away from wife [INSIGHT]
‘So excited!’ Dianne Buswell and Joe Sugg joyful over family baby news [UPDATE]
The episodes which aired on March 8 and 9 received almost 60,000 complaints, making them the most complained about moments during the TV regulators’ history.
Ofcom said that the network had provided the viewers protection from “potentially harmful and highly offensive statements” as he had been challenged by co-star Susanna Reid and royal editor Chris Ship.
“It was legitimate for this programme to discuss and scrutinise those claims including their veracity,” their conclusion read.
“Ofcom is clear that, consistent with freedom of expression, Mr Morgan was entitled to say he disbelieved the Duke and Sussex’s allegations and to hold and express strong views that rigorously challenged their account.”
Yesterday, Piers aired his views on the ruling, via social media.
He tweeted: “BREAKING: @Ofcom rejects all complaints against me over Meghan Markle furore that led to my exit from @GMB.
“Verdict says I was entitled to disbelieve her & Prince Harry & to restrict my right to do so would be a ‘chilling restriction on freedom of expression.’”
Source: Read Full Article