Headband safety warning: Parents urged to beware of baby accessories after newborn dies

Parents have been given a warning about the dangers of children’s accessories after a newborn baby died in a devastating accident. One woman used social media to share the story of what happened to her friend’s 14-week-old baby when left wearing a headband while in their cot. The post revealed details of how the child was suffocated in their sleep as the bow headband slid down over their nose. Now parents have been warned about the risks of using accessories on their children.

Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.

Sheila Merrill

Using Facebook to share the story, the social media user, Leanne Willson, detailed the incident and explained it happened to a friend.

In the post, Leanne wrote: “All new mums please be aware.

“Putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them.

“My friend has sadly just lost her 14-week-old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk.

“When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving. She had passed away.

“A post mortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation. She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have.”

Leanne also revealed the mum had only left the child for minutes when the tragic accident took place.

The heartbreaking post was shared over 80,000 times and the Facebook user revealed the mum asked her to share the story as a warning to other parents.

Sheila Merrill, RoSPA’s public health adviser, warned parents to be cautious.

She told the Manchester Evening News: “Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths. Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.

“Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.”

Parents will often use social media to warn others of potential safety hazards.

Earlier this year, one woman used the website Mumsadvice.co.uk to warn parents against the dangers of mini eggs.

The unnamed woman revealed her five-year-old daughter tragically choked on the chocolate snack. 

The mum wrote: “If your children enjoy these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether.

“If just one person reads this and watches their toddler, child or teen extra close when eating these my daughter’s death will not be in vain.”

Source: Read Full Article