Mum on first day of job injures two colleagues in crash after downing beers

A mum on her first day at a new job injured two of her colleagues in a high-speed car crash after drinking two cans of Stella Artois.

To make matters worse Jane Evans then lashed out at a medic trying to help her.

The mum-of-two wanted to “make a good impression” in her new role, a court heard, but drank two beers before driving at 80mph in a 30mph zone.

After driving erratically and telling colleague Jessica Mullins to “shut up” when she told her to slow down, 36-year-old Evans lost control of her black Mini Cooper, which spun before hitting a fence and tree.

The crash left Ms Mullins with two broken bones in her neck and a laceration to her head which required around 40 stitches, Wales Online reports .

In the aftermath of the incident Evans assaulted emergency worker Dr Ray Monsell after he tried to treat at the roadside and told him to “f*** off”.

A sentencing hearing at Cardiff Crown Court on Thursday heard Evans had recently been employed by GR Cleaning Services and was tasked with taking Ms Mullins and another colleague, Nicole Kemp, to a job on November 30 last year.

Ms Mullins described Evans as an “erratic individual” who was driving in an aggressive manner while beeping at other road users and swearing at them while Ms Kemp described her as “loud” and a “loose canon” who continually took her eyes off the road.

After completing the job in Llanishen at around 2pm Evans drove Ms Mullins and Ms Kemp back, but they described her driving as worse than before and said she seemed to have no concern for other road users.

Both women screamed at Evans to slow down but she ignored them and continued travelling around 80mph while travelling on a slip road.

As she approached a Cardiff Bus pulling out into the road Evans lost control of the car. Ms Kemp described a “heavy jolt” to the vehicle which began violently spinning and said she was pinned to a rear side door.

Bus driver Matthew Treharne said he saw the car spinning 360 degrees before hitting the kerb, flying into the air, then smashing into a fence and a tree which caused the vehicle to stop.

The emergency services were called to the scene and Dr Monsell, a GP who was volunteering with an emergency response charity, was tasked with treating Evans.

Prosecutor Jason Howells said Dr Monsell approached Evans and asked if he could examine her neck but she began swearing and said: “I’m not having a f****** collar”.

Evans then stood up and pushed him, which caused him to grab hold of her wrist, and she slapped him in the face while saying: “Who the f*** are you holding with your left hand? F*** off”.

The defendant eventually calmed down and let Dr Monsell treat her. He was not injured as a result of the attack but felt “upset” about the assault and was intimidated by her aggressive behaviour.

Evans was spoken to by a police officer who could smell alcohol on her breath. She told him she had two cans of Stella after work but she failed a breathalyser test and was eventually found with 94mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. The legal limit is 80mg.

She was arrested and later pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, assaulting an emergency worker, and drink-driving.

Ms Mullins was taken to hospital with various injuries including a cut to the head which caused a haemorrhage and a bleed on the brain resulting in clots which had to be drained. She also had two broken bones in her neck and bruising.

In a victim personal statement Ms Mullins said she was no longer able to work as a result of her injuries and was petrified of getting into a car. The court heard her children are now too scared to hug her in case they hurt her.

Ms Mullins said she was in a neck brace for between 10 and 12 weeks, had to sleep in a chair downstairs as she was unable to walk upstairs, and had to rely on her husband for everything as she was housebound.

She added: “I have become very moody and no longer feel comfortable in social situations. My life has been changed in so many ways and that could have been avoided.”

Ms Kemp suffered fractured ribs and bruising to her body but said she was “just grateful to be alive”.

In mitigation defence barrister David Pinnell said his client had wanted to “make a good impression” on the first day of her job but suffered from low self-esteem which had caused her to drink.

He said: “It was totally out of character and that can be the only explanation for the way she drunk, drove, and behaved in that way.”

The barrister also expressed concern about Evans’ ability to cope with prison and the effect her imprisonment would have upon her two children.

Sentencing, Judge Nicola Jones said: “You swore at [Dr Monsell], were abusive to him, and slapped his face.

"He eventually calmed you down because his concerns were not for his own injuries or upset, his concern was to help you and to help you get the help he thought you needed.

"He was a man doing his job helping the public and he felt upset, threatened, and shaken.

“The injuries to Jessica Mullins have had a devastating effect not just upon her but her family and very significantly impacted her two young children.”

She added: “This is a very serious offence and both yourself and those in the vehicle could have been killed in that instance.

“It’s you and no-one else who is responsible for the impact your imprisonment will have on your children. You grossly failed in your duty as a mother by embarking on driving in that manner on that day.”

Evans, of Lydstep Crescent, Gabalfa, Cardiff, was sentenced to 18 months in prison and was disqualified from driving for two years and nine months.

Source: Read Full Article