PORTUGAL has now been removed from the UK's "red list", which banned all travel to the country and required anyone returning from there to the UK to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.
The announcement followed the news that Portugal plans to welcome Brits back 'restriction-free’ this summer, giving Brits hope of a holiday there later this year.
This article contains affiliate links and if you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue
Anyone travelling from Portugal, the only country in Europe to have been on the red list, will still have to quarantine for 10 days at their own home.
Of course, foreign holidays are still banned for Brits, with the
government reviewing the ban on April 12 and borders reopening no
earlier than May 17.
There is no certainty that foreign holidays will go ahead at all this
summer, but several countries including Cyprus, Greece and Spain have
said that they are in talks with the UK government about travel
For those happy to book a break while there is still uncertainty
around travel, there are a number of cheap deals to be had on Portugal
Some of the best deals are:
- Jet2 Algarve July self-catering holidays in Albufeira, Vilamoura or Praia da Rocha based on four sharing from £384pp
- Jet2 Algarve July 4* bed and breakfast holidays from £534pp
- TUI Algarve self-catering holidays in July from £386pp
- TUI 7-nights at Brisa Sol Aparthotel, Albuferia in July from £479pp
- TUI 7-nights at Platinum Hotel Falesia, Algarve half-board in July from £594pp
- Easyjet Holidays self-catering July holidays based on four sharing from £237pp
- Easyjet Holidays 7-nights at Tivoli Lagos Hotel in July from £452pp
- TUI 7-night Madeira holidays in July from £469pp
- Jet2 July Madeira holidays from £466pp
- Easyjet Holidays 7-nights at Pestana Carlton Madeira Hotel, Madeira on a bed and breakfast basis in July from £399pp
- Love Holidays 7-night holidays from £146pp
- British Airways Holidays 7-night holidays to the Algarve from £385pp
- OnTheBeach 7-night holidays from £209pp
- Travel Republic 7-night holidays from £229pp
Travel to the country has been prohibited over Covid variants, and returning Brits were forced to pay £1,750 to quarantine for 10 days at a quarantine hotel.
It was originally placed onto the red list due to the risk of new variants, in particular the Brazil variant due to its connecting flights to the country.
Portugal's Secretary of State for Tourism, Rita Marques, previously said the country wants to welcome back Brits from May 17.
She told the BBC: "I do believe that Portugal will soon allow restriction-free travel, not only for vaccinated people, but those who are immune or who test negative."
And she insisted that "everything will be ready by mid-May" because the pandemic situation in the country is "stable".
Portugal has reported 814,257 cases of Covid since the pandemic started with daily new cases hitting 16,000 back in January.
However, new infection rates have dropped below 1,000 per day since the beginning of March.
If you're looking for more holiday inspiration, we've found cheap all inclusive holidays for this summer and there are many cheap package holidays.
For breaks in the UK, holiday parks are offering huge bargains and we've found the best UK holiday parks with children’s entertainment and the best holiday parks with outdoor pools.
We've also rounded up great deals in the UK's warmest places and found the best kid-friendly beaches and England's best family-friendly seaside towns.
This article and any featured products have been independently chosen by The Sun journalists. All recommendations within the article are informed by expert editorial opinion. If you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue: this helps to support The Sun, and in no way affects our recommendations.
Source: Read Full Article