Is it safe to travel to Tunisia? Latest Foreign Office advice on Tunis, Sousse, Monastir, Douz and Medenine and Hammamet

BRIT tourists travelling to Tunisia for their summer holidays have been warned terrorists are “very likely” to carry out attacks.

Here's the latest Foreign Office advice on the areas best to avoid.

Is it safe to travel to Tunisia?

A state of emergency is currently in place in Tunisia, extended on June 5 for one month.

The country has spent four years recovering from the deadliest non-state attack in the history of the country, in which 30 Brits were killed in a bloody rampage.

Most travel restrictions were overturned eventually following the attack by an Islamic State extremist in Port El Kantaoui, north of Sousse, in 2015.

However, three suicide blasts rocked the capital Tunis in June 2019, leaving a cop dead and wounding eight others.

Now the FCO has issued a fresh warning, saying areas where tourists gather "may be at higher risk of attack".


All travel in the following areas is advised against:

  • the Chaambi Mountains National Park and the designated military operations zones of Mount Salloum, Mount Sammamma and Mount Mghila
  • the militarised zone south of the towns of El Borma and Dhehiba
  • within 20km of the rest of the Libya border area north of Dhehiba
  • the town of Ben Guerdane and immediate surrounding area

All but essential travel is advised for:

  • all other areas within 75km of the Libyan border, including Remada, El Borma and the town of Zarzis
  • the governorate of Kasserine, including the town of Sbeitla
  • within 10km of the border with Algeria south of Kasserine governorate
  • within 30km of the border in El Kef and Jendouba governorates south of the town of Jendouba, including the archaeological site of Chemtou
  • areas north and west of the town of Ghardimaou in Jendouba governorate

What should you do if you need help in Tunisia?

Demonstrations in Tunisia occur frequently but the majority are peaceful.

However, Brits are urged to avoid all areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.

You contact the emergency services by calling 197 (police – when in cities and towns), 193 (national guard – when in rural areas or small villages), 190 (ambulance) or 198 (civil protection – for assistance at incidents, such as car accidents, to provide medical assistance and response to fire).

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. Consular support may be limited in parts of Tunisia.

You are also advised to take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.

Source: Read Full Article